Observing the 2006 presidential elections in Venezuela and other miscellaneous adventures, this is the online journal of a Canadian in South America

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Mi Colombia Bonita

So kids, since Cartagena, a few things have happened. Here's what new:

As mentioned previously, I stuck with my plan and left for Santa Marta, a medium-sized port city just about 4 hour drive to the east of Cartagena. Besides staying in one of the hottest, most basic hostels I have ever seen, my six days in Santa Marta were pretty fun. I met a couple of cool Swedes and an Israeli-Russian named Uri with whom I spent most of my time. We checked out a few of the local beaches, cruised a few discotecas, and became regulars at our favourite dinner spot, Ben and Josef's. Imagine a Colombian restaurant with a Dutch head chef and a Spanish co-owner from Catalonia serving up the best steaks I have tasted this side of the Tropic of Cancer. Seriously the stuff of legends.

Just toward the end of my Santa Marta stay, Uri and I signed up from our PADI Open Water Diver certification in a nearby pueblo called Taganga. In a matter of like a couple days, we were already strapping on gear and diving to 12 metres with all the fancy little fishes and brain coral. We ended up moving to the dive center in the town and finished up the last of our days on the coast in a national park called Parque Nacional Tayrona. Now, I know it's getting a little old to hear, but I honestly landed in Paradise, again. The park was simply breathtaking. It was the best of the rainforest meets the best of the beach, all in one go. It's one of those places that gets more beautiful with every picture but you still can't find enough words to describe it. I would actually recommend to anyone interested in South American backpacking and travelling to not leave Colombia out of your plans. From even the little that I have seen over the last couple weeks, it is well worth the effort.

After another set of dives the day after Tayrona, Uri and I bounced to Bogota where I am currently at. Tomorrow George W Bush is visiting the capital and security has been getting tighter and tighter everywhere I have been in the city. Should be interesting, there will be definitely be a protest, so check out the news. As always, pics will soon follow. Take care everyone!

1 Comments:

Blogger Samuel Bluman Schroeder said...

I just caught up with my recent Daily Show headlines and couldn't help but think of you being amongst all those burning effigies of Bush dressed up as Hitler. I hope you wore your democrat blues to the protest...that's all I'm saying.

3:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home